Posted in Publication, Typeface
Photo-Lettering was one of the earliest and most successful type houses to utilize photo technology in the production of commercial typography and lettering. PLINC, as it was affectionately known to art directors, was a mainstay of the advertising and design industry in New York City from 1936 to 1997.
Each of Photo-Lettering’s alphabets took over 200 hours to complete, originally drawn with pen and ink by veteran lettering artists. These alphabets were originally exposed on glass plates, but eventually were converted to film. Bespoke headlines / copy were then created by Photo-Lettering artists.
House Industries relationship with Photo-Lettering goes back to 1999, through their association with Ed Benguiat. House were approached by one of the last remaining Photo-Lettering partners, to inquire if they would be interested in purchasing the physical assets of Photo-Lettering.
They now own PLINC’s fantastic typographic archive – 9000 pieces of film, glass plates and over Sixty years worth of brilliantly-designed typographic marketing collateral and specimen books.
The original idea has now come ‘full-circle’ with the digitization of the original ‘PLINC’ fonts, users of photolettering.com can set and download bespoke headlines as a scaleable vector file.